What to consider when starting with roof racks and their accessories:
Kayaks & Canoes
- How heavy is your boat and can you lift it comfortably by yourself?
- Would getting your boat on your vehicle be easier with a load assist accessory?
- How many boats/boards do you want to carry and do you have the rack space to do so?
- Does your vehicle have the proper front/rear tiedowns for your watercraft?
- How many people are traveling?
- Do you have any pets traveling with you?
- Do you want to carry other items on the roof beside the box?
- Would extra storage at the back of the vehicle be more accessible to you than on the roof?
- What length of ski/snowboard do you need in the box?
- Will you be able to fit into your garage?
- What is your overall height?
Skis & Boards
- Will the ski/board hit the hatch of the vehicle when its up?
- Will you need a ski/board bag for protection from road salt?
- How many pairs of skis/boards will you need to bring?
- Can you reach the top of your vehicle while holding your bike?
- Do you need access to your trunk/hatch when you have the bikes?
- Do you have a full suspension mountain bike or a step-through (female) frame?
- Do you have front fenders or other accessories that would prevent your bike from fitting?
- How do you think your child's bike will fit?
- Do you intend on leaving the roof rack on year round?
- Do you have any older accessories that only work on certain types of bars that you want to continue using?
- What length of crossbar will you need to use to accomplish what you want to carry?
- Is the noise reduction feature associated with aerodynamic bars more appealing to you?
- Will you leave certain accessories on your crossbars for the season or put them on only when you need them?
- Do your multi-season activities require a stroller with multi-season accessories?
- Does your child require specific back and head supports during the early months of life?
- How much extra storage do you need?
- Do you want to be able to stroll with your bike trailer?
- Are you looking for a stroller that's light and quick to use or one meant for the long haul?